Soka University of America is offering a full-time, exempt Box Office Manager position for the Soka Performing Arts Center.
Under the general supervision of the General Manager of the Soka Performing Arts Center, the Box Office Manager is responsible for coordination, oversight and supervision of all Box Office and Front of House services for events, ensuring hospitable, smooth and efficient operations. The Box Office Manager is responsible for programming and monitoring the ticketing system, tracking daily sales and deposits, box office banking and reconciliations, ticket account management and fulfillment, and supervising and training direct box office personnel (student employees and volunteers). This position provides the highest level of customer service to all guests, vendors and clients, and is highly visible in interactions with sponsors, vendors, rental clients, and arts organizations (such as Philharmonic Society of Orange County, Pacific Symphony, Parnassus Society, San Diego Symphony, etc.) The Box Office Manager may perform other functions as needed.
Soka Performing Arts Center’s concert hall seats 1032, and features exquisite world-class acoustics designed by noted acoustician Yasuhisa Toyota, acoustic designer of noted performance venues such as Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles, and the Suntory Hall in Tokyo.
Soka Performing Arts Center is part of Soka University of America, a private, non-profit, four-year liberal arts college and graduate school. The university is located on 103-acres in south Orange County, California in the City of Aliso Viejo, in the heart of Southern California’s abundance of cultural, educational, sporting and adventure opportunities. The mission of Soka University is to “foster a steady stream of global citizens committed to living a contributive life.” Currently, Soka University is nationally ranked in the Top 25 National Liberal Arts Colleges and Top 15 Best Value Colleges by US News & World Report's "Best Colleges 2019."
Necessary duties include but are not limited to:
- Coordinate, oversee and supervise all front house services events, including but not limited to box office, usher, concession, artist merchandising and support staff.
- Foster and maintain strong working relationship with the Box Office Manager of partner Arts Organizations for co-productions (i.e. Philharmonic Society of Orange County, Pacific Symphony, Parnassus Society, San Diego Symphony, etc.).
- Responsible for box office operations, providing oversight as chief liaison and system administrator for the online ticketing software, and performing the daily activities required for the accurate processing, handling, distribution, reconciliation and documentation of all ticket sales, equipment, supplies, patron concerns and reports.
- Oversee the overall day-to-day operations of the ticketing department from daily sales to scheduling staff for daytime and evening operations.
- Coordinate all marketing and public relations activities with the Community Relations Office, and with the Development Office for all fundraising activities.
- Work with the General Manager to provide a high quality experience for all patrons from initial contact through end of performance and beyond.
- Assist the General Manager in the acquisition and implementation of the box office/patron management system.
- In charge of Box Office banking and records, including (but not limited to) weekly bank deposits and monthly reconciliation reports.
- Serve as primary interface between the general public (patrons and ticket purchasers) and the Soka Performing Arts Center.
- Hire, train, schedule and supervise student employees and is the first-line customer service representative. Must be able to work evening performance shifts and weekends.
- Other functions may be assigned as needed.
Candidates should have:
- Associate’s degree or higher in a related field. Four year degree preferred in Arts Administration or Management.
- Minimum three years management experience in a performing arts high-volume box office.
- Minimum three years’ experience in front of house supervision of usher, concession and box office cashiers.
- Must have experience with on-line ticketing systems and patron management software.
- Assist with development of promotional and marketing materials.
- Must be adaptable to change, able to develop and work through new procedures and policies.
- Must be able to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Must possess strong supervisory, leadership, financial and accounting skills.
- Excellent communication, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Strong computer experience using a variety of software programs including MS Office and Adobe suite of products.
Application review will begin immediately. The position will remain open and applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Employment is contingent upon the completion of a successful background check.
To apply, send a letter of interest, resume, and three professional references to:
Re: Box Office Manager
Soka University of America
1 University Drive
Aliso Viejo, CA 92656
Soka University of America is an equal opportunity employer.