Western Arts Alliance is developing programs for the 2019 conference, and we need your input and expertise! Help WAA deliver professional development that will propel our field forward.
The Annual Western Arts Alliance Conference convenes artists, agents, and presenters from the U.S. and abroad around the shared goal of programming live performances. A vital component of WAA’s conference is the professional development program, which aims to address and explore trends, practices, and challenges that we face in the evolving field of performing arts through pre-conference and in-conference workshops, panels, and roundtables.
Professional Development Institute [4-5 hours] – These tuition-based pre-conference workshops and seminars are designed to offer practical information and curricula for immediate application.
Workshops & Panels [90 minutes] – These in-conference sessions are hosted by knowledgeable professionals in the field and are open to all registered attendees.
Roundtables [60 minutes] – These in-conference facilitated discussions are led by conference attendees. Roundtable presenters often bring targeted questions to pose to the participants in order to learn from and with those attending. Open to all registered attendees.
THEMES AND TOPICS
We are seeking relevant, informative, and engaging proposals that include, but are not limited to, the listed topics below. As part of WAA’s new programmatic initiatives and groups, we’ve highlighted topics (*) that further the missions of our Advancing Indigenous Performance Program, Black Arts @ WAA committee, and our Conexiones: Latino Arts @ WAA committee.
- Activism, Social Justice, and the Arts*
- Arts, Community, and Gentrification*
- Booking and Touring
- Business and Industry How-To's
- Collaboration, Commissioning, Partnership For Artists/Agents/Presenters
- Community Relationship Building, Engagement, and Partnership*
- Contracts, Negotiations, & Legal Issues
- Decolonizing Practices in the Arts*
- Diversifying Arts Management, Board, and Committees
- Education, Outreach, & Audience Development
- Environmental Sustainability
- Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Accessibility
- Funding and Development
- International and Cross Border Collaboration*
- International Taxes, Visas, & Contracts
- Intersectional Programming*
- Marketing and Social Media
- Programming & Disciplines (Particularly Dance and Family Programming)
- Ticketing, Operations & Production Management