ABOUT THE PRESIDIO THEATRE
In September 2019 the revitalized Presidio Theatre re-opened its doors in San Francisco’s Presidio National Historic Landmark District. Vacant since 1995, the beautifully restored 600-seat theater and outdoor plaza is now a high quality and affordable multipurpose space for local, national and international live theatre, cinema, dance, music, lectures, educational programming and special events.
The mission of the Theatre is to ensure that the magic of live performance is accessible to the entire community. By reawakening an architectural jewel in the Presidio and creating a professionally run venue that reflects the rich diversity of the Bay Area, the Presidio Theatre encourages artists to grow and flourish. The Theatre also mitigates a crisis facing performing artists in the Bay Area who are being displaced by the high cost of living, creating a permanent home where artists and audiences can find belonging and authentic connection.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Director of Development & Communications is a vital member of the small Presidio Theatre leadership team, overseeing resource development and communications and serving as an organizational leader with shared responsibility for the Theatre’s success in all functional areas. In partnership with the Executive Director and Board of Directors, the Director of Development & Communications creates, manages and executes the fundraising and marketing strategies and establishes and maintains key funding relationships and strategic partnerships.
You are an entrepreneurial development and communications professional who has:
- outstanding relationship-building, collaboration and communication skills;
- a successful track record of raising major gifts from individuals and institutions ($10K+) for an arts and culture organization;
- experience designing and executing effective donor engagement strategies and leading successful campaigns while activating fundraising volunteers; expertise in building and engaging an active Board of Directors in fundraising;
- proven ability to design effective marketing and communications strategies that promote visibility and brand, paving the way for successful fundraising efforts;
- experience as a manager with the ability to develop talent, mentor and supervise the day-to-day work of direct reports;
- experience with a start-up and ambition to build a development and communications team and strategy from the ground up.
- Develops and executes a comprehensive development and communications plan that includes corporate, foundation and individual giving, generating contributed revenue that accounts for approximately 50% of the Theatre’s annual $2 million budget and communications strategies that boost the Theatre’s visibility and brand;
- Partners with the Executive Director to build an engaged and active Board of Directors whose ambassadorial and personal commitment to the Presidio Theatre are key to its success;
- Oversees and manages the annual development and communications budget and develops a growth strategy that aligns to the strategic plan;
- Develops, cultivates, solicits and stewards a portfolio of individual and institutional donors and community stakeholders;
- Oversees the testing, evaluation and iteration of traditional and online marketing campaigns that build the Theatre’s audiences and donor base;
- Builds and develops a talented team (staff, consultants and volunteers), supervising two direct reports initially, who execute the development and communications strategies with excellence.
- At least six years development and communications experience with a comparable arts and culture non-profit; at least two years managing others;
- Proven fund development achievement, leading and actualizing a comprehensive plan that includes the Board and major gifts initiatives, annual fundraising, grants and special events;
- Entrepreneurial expertise in building a fund development program and team and scaling effective efforts;
- Dedicated team player with a commitment to the highest level of customer service and collaboration;
- Outstanding problem-solving, written and verbal communication skills;
- Public speaking and storytelling expertise, able to easily and articulately represent the Theatre to funders, community stakeholders and the public.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
At the Presidio Theatre, we believe outstanding people are the key to our success. We value diversity in all its forms and are committed to an inclusive and transparent recruitment processes. We recruit and hire without regard to race, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, veterans status or age.
TO LEARN MORE OR TO APPLY, PLEASE SEND RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO: DODsearch@presidiotheatre.org