Sun Valley Performing Arts seeks an Executive Director (ED) who will be an engaging leader and prominent member of a spectacular mountain resort community that is recognized nationally as an arts and culture destination. The ED will lead the new Argyros Performing Arts Center, hire and oversee staff, and work with the board, volunteers, and community while planning inspiring programming for the future.
Sun Valley Performing Arts, a local 501(c)(3) non-profit established in 2001, opened a new, state-of-the-art performing arts center in Ketchum, Idaho, named the Argyros Performing Arts Center after its founding benefactors Julia & George Argyros, in January 2019. This 25,000 square-foot facility includes a flexible 450-seat theater, studio/theater, a lobby/café and a large outdoor plaza: it is open, spacious, inclusive and a gathering place for the entire community.
The Argyros Presents local, national and international artists, ensembles and events, and will feature a wide variety of programs for everyone including music of all kinds, theater, comedy, dance, speakers, films and educational workshops. The Argyros is also be available for use on a rental basis by other local non-profits, as well as businesses, groups and individuals. The flexible performance and event spaces enable all manner of small and large productions, events and gatherings year-round: it is a perfect cultural, educational and social complement to the area’s exceptional outdoor recreational amenities.
The Executive Director of Sun Valley Performing Arts will be responsible for the overall operation of the organization and facilities of the Argyros Performing Arts Center. The ED will report to the Board of Directors and s/he will hire, oversee and supervise the marketing & development director, operations director, controller and executive assistant. The ED will be both the presenter (selecting, booking and presenting the artists and series for each season) and the chief development officer. S/he will develop and monitor annual operating budgets and collaborate with staff on branding, marketing and promoting the organization and Argyros Performing Arts Center. This spokesperson for the organization will develop effective partnerships with arts and culture groups, the business community, sponsors & donors, full-time and seasonal residents and visitors. The ED will lead the strategic planning process, while expanding and enhancing the organization’s local, regional and national profile and reputation for excellence. S/he will develop and maintain an effective operating model with earned income from a blend of community-based arts organizations, the Argyros Performing Arts Center’s own presenting, concessions, community and business rentals, and contributed income.
- Select, contract and present the best-possible artists and ensembles annually
- Schedule and negotiate contracts with local arts organizations for each season
- Negotiate rental agreements with all other individuals, organizations and companies
- Assess programming and events to ensure compatibility with mission and goals
- Create and execute an annual development plan designed to maximize contributed income
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward individual, foundation and corporate donors
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with local, regional and national institutional funders
- Work with staff and Board members to create a culture of giving throughout the organization
Governance & Strategic Planning
- Meet and communicate with the board members to make mission-based decisions on strategic plans, goals and support of the organization
- Partner with the Board of Directors to expand its membership
- Help cultivate and recruit philanthropists, arts enthusiasts and community leaders
- Establish a strong working relationship with the Board of Directors, encouraging all Directors to participate actively, and facilitate their involvement beyond board meetings
- Lead an ongoing strategic planning process to ensure growth and excellence
Finance & Human Resources
- Work with staff, Finance Committee and Board of Directors to prepare and adopt the annual budget and development plan
- Monitor budget versus actuals monthly and oversee controller’s preparation of monthly and quarterly reports
- Oversee an annual review and audit of the financial statements and completion of the 990 report
- Develop and review position descriptions and annual performance reviews for all employees
- Work with appropriate staff to recruit, interview, hire, mentor and evaluate staff
- Establish and maintain a climate and culture that attracts, keeps, motivates and rewards professional staff
- Ensure that sound human resource policies, procedures and practices are ongoing
Marketing, Communications & Sales
- Work with staff to effectively market and promote the programs and events
- Build and enhance the brand and identity of the organization and facility
- Ensure that the messaging developed from the mission and strategic plan are reinforced through internal and external communications
- Represent the organization at community events, gatherings and local, regional and national conferences
- Determine pricing, ticketing and sales policies and procedures
- Bachelor’s degree required and advanced degree preferred
- Minimum of 5-10 years experience as a director of a performing arts presenting or producing organization
- Longstanding relationships with diverse artists, agents, managers and presenters
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills: a dynamic public presence and a compelling speaker and storyteller
- Extensive history of having worked with staff and Boards to achieve and exceed fundraising goals through individual, foundation, business and government sources
- Strong organizational and collaboration skills and the ability to develop and maintain excellent relationships with colleagues, donors, volunteers and audience
Compensation & Benefits
A significant salary, based on experience & expertise and a comprehensive benefits package will be provided. Relocation assistance, if needed, is available.
Please email a thoughtful cover letter and resume to the attention of Greg Phillips of CSTAR Development to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sun Valley Center Performing Arts is an equal opportunity employer.