Vashon Center for the Arts seeks Executive Director
Position Title: Executive Director
Reports to: Board of Directors
Location: Vashon, WA
Application Deadline: November 15, 2019
Education Requirement: Master's Degree Preferred
Experience Requirement: 1-2 years
The Executive Director (ED) for Vashon Center for the Arts (VCA) is responsible for overseeing all operations, functions, and activities, ensuring that VCA is operating efficiently and effectively. The ED is the face of the organization, working closely with the Board of Directors, staff, and community to foster VCA’s strategic direction and the implementation of a high-quality vision.
The ED ensures that staff members are aligned with the organization’s mission and vision and that they are working together to achieve strategic objectives successfully. VCA has a close-knit culture that places a high priority on communication, recognition, and collaboration. The ED is aligned with our culture and will continue to enhance it through positive leadership, with the ability to lead and motivate. The ED acts as a spokesperson for VCA and participates in local networks to keep VCA connected to the Vashon community and regional arts communities.
- Develop and implement strategic plans that meet organizational goals and objectives created in partnership with the Board of Directors
- Create complete business plans for the attainment of goals and objectives set by the Board of Directors
- Build an effective team of leaders by providing guidance and coaching to subordinate managers
- Ensure adherence of the organization’s daily activities and long-term plans to established policies and legal guidelines
- Direct and oversee the annual operating budget and fundraising efforts
- Oversees the scheduling and support of all programming at VCA which includes music, dance, drama, and visual arts
- Forge and maintain relations of trust with artists, the community, and external partners
- Ensure commitment to and compliance with all applicable laws and regulations across the organization
- Act as the public speaker and public relations representative of VCA in ways that strengthen its profile
- Create a culture of transparency and communication throughout the organization
- Proactively address challenges in the internal and external environment to protect the organization's interests
- Review reports by subordinate managers to acquire an understanding of the organization’s financial and non-financial position
- Developing and implementing strategies aiming to promote the organization’s mission and “voice”
- Proven experience as executive director or in other managerial position preferably in a performing arts or other arts organization
- Experience in developing strategies and business plans
- Ability to apply successful fundraising and networking techniques
- Strong understanding of corporate finance and measures of performance
- In-depth knowledge of organizational governance principles and managerial best practices
- An analytical mind capable of “out-of-the-box” thinking to solve problems
- Outstanding organization and leadership abilities
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and public speaking skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Detail-oriented and able to handle multiple tasks
- Self-motivated and independent with a strong work ethic
- Knowledge of social media and emerging marketing technology as it relates to non-profit and arts administration
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree in Arts, Non-Profit Management, or Business, or equivalent experience preferred
- Previous experience in a senior leadership role
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement successful strategic plans
- Capacity to build and lead a complex organization with multiple programs
- Proven success in driving fund-raising initiatives of a growing organization
- A proven leader with enthusiasm, authenticity, and passion for working collegially with diverse internal and external constituents
- Passion for and experience with arts organizations preferred
- Experience in non-profit administration in a Board or leadership or decision-maker role
While performing the duties of this Job, the ED is regularly required to sit for long periods, use fingers and hands to type, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. A background check is required.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, the Board of Directors reserves the right to revise the job when circumstances change.
- Working in conjunction with the Board of Trustees, refine and establish the necessary steps to update and refine the strategic plan of VCA.
- Establish positive relationships with the Board, current staff, donors, and volunteers, ensuring ongoing participation and retention.
- Identify new potential funders and work with the Board in achieving established fundraising goals.
- Update and refine the strategy to put the work of VCA in front of local and regional media outlets and increasing the visibility and credibility of the organization in the eyes of the community, business, and government leaders.
- Meet the budget and organizational infrastructure growth goals established within the existing operational plan
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer
The Vashon Center for the Arts is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.