Soka Performing Arts Center (Soka PAC) is seeking a Marketing and Communications Manager on a full-time basis. The Marketing and Communications Manager will develop and implement a comprehensive communications strategy to build visibility and brand awareness for Soka Performing Arts Center (Soka PAC). This position is responsible for a broad spectrum of Soka PAC ‘s internal and external advertising and communications, including, but not limited to, media and public relations, brand management, university communications, media buys, and digital and social media. This position will manage a variety of vehicles to advance the vision and mission of Soka PAC and develop metrics to track the effectiveness of initiatives and activities. This position reports to the General Manager of the Soka Performing Arts Center.
Organization Overview: Soka Performing Arts Center is part of Soka University of America, a private, non-profit, four-year liberal arts college and graduate school located on 103-acres in south Orange County, California in the City of Aliso Viejo. Soka University, whose mission is to “foster a steady stream of global citizens committed to living a contributive life,” sits just three miles from the beach (if you are a bird – nine miles driving) and located in the heart of Southern California’s abundance of cultural, educational, sporting and adventure opportunities. Soka University is nationally ranked in the Top 50 National Liberal Arts Colleges and Top 10 Best Value Colleges by US News & World Report's "Best Colleges 2017."
Soka Performing Arts Center’s concert hall seats 1032, and features exquisite world-class acoustics designed by noted acoustician Yasuhisa Toyota, acoustic designer of such noted performance venues such as Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles, and the Suntory Hall in Tokyo. There is also a Black Box Theater capable of flexible configurations, with a capacity of 160-300.
- Create and write content for communications and collateral materials for Soka Performing Arts Center, including, but not limited to, brochures, print and digital ads, press releases, email marketing, and all outward communication, ensuring brand and mission continuity.
- Oversee and manage printers and other vendors
- Train, manage, and oversee the work of student marketing interns
- Collaborate with university marketing and website team to support and oversee Soka PAC’s comprehensive marketing plan and branding efforts and coordinate branding initiatives and message consistency
- Develop and maintain a dynamic website in collaboration with outside design team; write/edit website content, manage ongoing updates, and ensure new and consistent information is posted regularly
- Create and implement social media strategy; develop engaging content that leads to measurable results
- Negotiate and manage media partnerships. Manage agency relationships to develop media plans and facilitate effective PR campaigns as measured by media placements and audience impressions, to support marketing and brand awareness, in coordination with the University Community Outreach team. Proactively seek media attention, write press releases, and manage media relations in collaboration with PR agency
- Act as Soka PAC spokesperson for marketing and brand awareness at university events, conferences, and other related activities; Identify and secure speaking opportunities to elevate organization’s visibility, assist with developing effective presentations.
- Approximately 25% of duties will be administrative support to the General Manager, duties as assigned
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible communications experience, ideally in a leadership role, in branding, media relations, communications, PR campaigns, and web content management
- Superior writing skills with exceptional ability to create exciting, clear and persuasive messages
- Strong ability to use communications strategies to support branding and awareness efforts and drive result
- Proven track record in successfully developing, managing and executing internal and external communications
- Proven ability to translate communications strategies and objectives into specific, measurable results
- Strong communicator with excellent presentation skills and ability to speak effectively to a variety of internal and external audiences
- Excellent working knowledge of processes as they relate to print production, photography, website management, and print/broadcast/online advertising
- High degree of initiative and entrepreneurial spirit
- Strong ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team Commitment to the missions of Soka PAC and Soka University of America Experience and skill in managing multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Willingness to travel and work flexible hours, including some nights and weekends
- Valid driver’s license and current insurance required
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or related subject required, Master’s degree preferred Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Soka University of America offers a competitive benefits package. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
- Employment is contingent on the completion of a successful background check.
Soka University of America is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply send a letter of interest, resume, and three professional references to:
Re: Marketing and Communications Manager
Soka University of America
1 University Drive Aliso Viejo, CA 92656