Master Electrician (Lighting) for SFJAZZ
The SFJAZZ Master Electrician is a mid-level position that provides crucial support to SFJAZZ Artistic, Development, Education and Rentals departments under the direction of the Director of Production, Technical Director and Production Managers. The primary role of this position requires the technician be familiar with the entire lifecycle of lighting from creating the initial plot to operating the console during a performance or event.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSILITIES
The Master Electrician is responsible for the installation and operation of lighting and rigging equipment including motors, conventional, LED and intelligent fixtures while maintaining a working knowledge of lighting systems throughout the SFJAZZ Center. In addition, this role requires a knowledge of ETC Paradigm Systems, ETC Gateway nodes and ETC Sensor CE dimmer racks as well as strong programming skills on the GrandMA2 Lighting console.
It is essential that the technician has excellent organizational and time-management skills and be able to meet crucial deadlines.
- Assisting Rentals Manager and Technical Director in determining lighting needs for rental events and aid in the integration of outside vendor workflow within the building
- Providing support as a venue lighting representative when interfacing with outside rental clients
- Assisting visiting Lighting Designers to implement their lighting designs
- Creating and implementing venue repertory lighting plot, including hanging, circuiting and focusing fixtures as well as changing a lamp in conventional and intelligent fixtures
- Overseeing the repairs and maintenance of all in-house lighting equipment
- Working closely with Technical Director on equipment upgrades and system modifications
- Hanging and focusing lighting instruments specific to each performance or event and restore fixtures per the repertory light plot post-show
- Creating lighting design as well as program and operate the lighting console for Artistic performances, as needed
- Programming and operate the lighting console during rental, educational and development performances
- Assisting Production stage crew with installing and striking stage plots, including the setting up of music stands, chairs, pianos, amplifiers, drum kits, rugs and other stage props
Five to seven years of experience as a working electrician and lighting board operator.
Expert proficiency in the following equipment/skills:
- GrandMA2 lighting console
- ETC Sensor dimming system
- ETC Paradigm lighting control system
- Clay Paky Alpha Spots and/or other moving head equivalent fixtures
- Safe and secure rigging practices as it pertains to chain hoists, truss and lighting fixtures
- Knowledge of electricity (120/208 VAC, 3-Ø) and how to tie in to a company switch
- Working knowledge of lighting for live music (experience with live Jazz music a plus) and theatrical productions
Expert proficiency in the following software:
- Vectorworks Spotlight
SFJAZZ Mission Founded in 1983, SFJAZZ is a recognized international leader in jazz creation, presentation, and education. SFJAZZ explores the full spectrum of jazz, from the music's origins in the Caribbean Basin and African American community to its diverse present-day expressions around the world. As a nonprofit organization, SFJAZZ works to develop the audience for jazz in the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond. SFJAZZ celebrates jazz as a living art form, built on a constantly evolving tradition.
SFJAZZ is one of the world’s most popular and important presenters of jazz. The SFJAZZ Center is a beautiful and perfect stage for jazz artists and the community to celebrate the living American art form of jazz. The $64 million dollar Center launched in 2013 and the 33-year-old non-profit organization now crafts distinguished programming and education services from the heart of the San Francisco arts district.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Please send your resume in .doc or .pdf format, cover letter to email@example.com with “Master Electrician” in the Subject line. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
SFJAZZ is an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to a diverse and harmonious workplace.
Job Title: Master Electrician (Lighting)
Reports to: Director of Production and Technical Director
Prepared: September 2019