The West Moves Steering Committee is pleased to announce the first West Moves Dance Mentoring and Tour Opportunity Grant.
This is a pilot project generously funded by WESTAF (Western States Arts Federation), the National Endowment for the Arts, and state arts agencies in the Western states.
This first grant will support the touring of a specific dance company from outside the Western States region through November 30, 2019. This is in accordance with WESTAF guidelines.
The dance company selected by the Steering Committee is MOMIX, based in Connecticut, represented by Selby Artists Management in New York.
This is a mentoring grant, with the objective of encouraging presenters who do not normally program dance or very little dance to apply for the funding. Two presenting organizations will be selected and mentored by West Moves Steering Committee members. The mentoring will consist of advice regarding ticket pricing, audience development, marketing and communication, and educational opportunities, among other things. The committee will match up a specific Steering Committee member with the specific grantee.
The total funding available is $10,000, with each selected presenting organization receiving $5000.
An application form will be emailed to the presenting organization upon request by members of the Steering Committee.
All grantees needs to adhere to the WESTAF general terms and conditions, listed on this webpage.
The Steering Committee has drawn up the following criteria to award the funding:
- In the application, the presenter must demonstrate, through a listing of presentations or by attaching past season brochures, that they have presented one or no dance companies in the past two seasons, 2017-18, 2018-19.
- The presenter must also demonstrate that they have room in their upcoming season through December 2019 to include a dance company.
- Other criteria include the following: strong desire to include dance in the programming season; an indication of eagerness to work with West Moves mentoring organization. Geographic diversity will also be considered.
- The Application must be submitted by March 6, 2019.
- The grantees will be selected by the West Moves Steering Committee by March 10.
- Payment of the grant will be made to the presenting organization following the completion of the presentation and filing a final report, including budget information, within 60 days of the presentation.
FOR QUESTIONS AND FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT THE WEST MOVES STEERING COMMITTEE: Rob Bailis, California Performances, UC Berkeley, email@example.com ;
Beth Macmillan, Artown, Reno, NV, firstname.lastname@example.org ; Celesta Billeci, UC Santa Barbara Arts & Lectures, Celesta.Billeci@sa.ucsb.edu ; Walter Jaffe & Paul King, White Bird, Portland, OR, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org .